The Buxton Adventure Festival programme has just been published and tickets are now on sale from Buxton Opera House.
The third Buxton Adventure Festival – supported by the University of Derby and Rab Outdoor Gear – takes place on Saturday 11th to Sunday 12th October at the Pavilion Arts Centre, part of Buxton Opera House in the heart of the Peak District, alongside the Great Peak District Fair and Buxton Beer Festival.
This year’s speakers include Emma O’Reilly – Lance Armstrong’s personal masseur who blew the whistle on the 7 times Tour de France winner; top climbers Tim Emmett and Shauna Coxsey; record-breaking fell runner Steve Birkinshaw; and Paralympic Silver Medalist and ground-breaking adventurer Karen Darke.
In addition to our speaker sessions we have also are proud to be screening the brand new Brit Rock Film Tour featuring top British adventure sports films and hosting a special Cyclists Question Time including British Cycling/Team Sky’s physiotherapist Phil Burt and nutritionist Nigel Mitchell and top performance coach Andrew Gillott.
Other highlights include a photography talk and workshop with Peak District pro Lukasz Warzecha; the Beeline Britain team on the first ever straight line journey from Lands End to John O’Groats; Peak District fell runner Nicky Spinks is introducing Scottish mountain marathon legend Charlie Ramsay; and Wild Running authors Jen & Sim Benson.
The weekend kicks off with a Young Adventurers triple bill including Danny Butler’s Extreme Mountain Bike Show; the Meek Family talking about their year of 100 outdoor adventures plus family-friendly films. There’s also the Adventure Bites film loop running all weekend in the Studio Theatre.
There will also be free, family-friendly activities with the YHA and Derbyshire Village Games and High Peak Tri Club are running a children’s Aquathlon in Buxton Pool and Pavilion Gardens.
In association with BAF, the University of Derby will be running an Open Day for prospective students in the Devonshire Dome with free adventure activities open to the public including a Dry Tooling climbing competition; Slack-lining; 20m free-hanging ladder climb to the Dome roof; and an alpine skills workshop.
There’s also a chance to nominate the next generation of speakers in our University of Derby Young Adventurer of the Year competition. The three top winners will each win an iPad.
We’re delighted to have such a strong line-up of speakers from all over the UK but we’re also proud of our local Peak District connections:
- Top Adventure Sports Photographer Lukasz Warzecha’s photo studio is in New Mills.
- Cycling Question Time panellist Performance coach Andrew Gillott lives in Hayfield & cycling writer Nik Cook lives in Chinley (Cyclists Q Time) & Phil Burt & Nigel Mitchell work at the Manchester Velodrome.
- Wild Running Authors Jen and Sim Benson lived in the Peak District for 18 months while they wrote Wild Running & he worked as a retained firefighter in Bakewell
- Fell Runner (Glossop) Nicky Spinks is based in Glossop (introducing Charlie Ramsay)
- Paralympic rower Nick Beighton (Beeline Britain) was born in Stockport where he lived til he was 7
- Lance Armstrong Whistleblower Emma O’Reilly works in a physio clinic just over the border in Hale, Cheshire.
- Pro climber Shauna Coxsey lives part of the year in Sheffield.
- Title sponsors University of Derby are taking a really interesting, pro-active approach to marketing their outdoors courses at Buxton and will be running an Open Day on 11th October with a Winter Olympics style ice climbing competition in the Dome alongside BAF.
- Event sponsors Rab Outdoor Clothing are Alfreton based
We’ve also now confirmed the judges for the Young Adventurers Awards which have gone nationwide this year:
- Dave Cornthwaite – adventurer, motivational speaker and record breaker (spoke at BAF last year & presented last year’s awards so there are pics of him from BAF last year) http://www.davecornthwaite.com/
- Squash Falconer – adventurer from Derby, climbed Everest, spoke at BAF in first year http://squashfalconer.com
- The Meek Family – Mum & Dad Kerry & Tim and daughters who spoke at last year’s Young Adventurers Awards and are speaking at our Young Adventurers session on Saturday morning this year http://www.buxtonadventurefestival.co.uk/speakers-films/young-adventurers/do-try-this-at-home/
Matt Heason, Buxton Adventure Festival Director said: “The weekend will be celebration of cycling, running and climbing with inspirational speakers and outstanding films. This year’s programme is our strongest line-up yet. The continued support from our sponsors The University of Derby and Rab, means we’re able to grow and the festival is becoming an established part of the Peak District events calendar that can realistically aspire to be as popular as its sister event, the Sheffield Adventure Film Festival.”
Professor Nick Draper, Head of Life Sciences at the University of Derby said, “We’re excited to be part of the growth of the Buxton Adventure Festival. Adventure is a core part of our curriculum. The real-world learning philosophy behind our outdoor leadership and sports performance courses at Oaklands Manor equips our students with the practical skills and experience they’ll need for a successful future.”
Dan Thompson, Rab Marketing Manager, said, “We’re really pleased to be involved again with Buxton Adventure Festival, as a brand with the Peak District on our doorstep we’ve been delighted over recent years to be part of the growth of this fantastic event. The festival’s inspirational speakers and films fit perfectly with our brand and our products that are designed for the most extreme conditions in the world.”
For more information, contact PR Lissa Cook 07818 411 791 / email@example.com
High res images here for one-off editorial use with prior permission:https://www.flickr.com/photos/lissacook/sets/72157645496962665/
Press release: Wednesday 6th August 2014