A new art competition, running for the first time in 2014, is hoping to attract and encourage a wide range of artists to work outdoors and complete work in their studios. The competition will celebrate the cultural wealth and breathtaking landscape of the beautiful spa town of Buxton in the heart of the Peak District.
There are generous prizes to be won – including £5,000 for The Buxton Spa Prize sponsored by the Trevor Osborne Charitable Trust, £2,000 for The Harold Riley Sketchbook Prize and The Young Artist Prize includes a week’s trip to the Porthleven Artists Studio in Cornwall.
Chaired by the renowned Salford artist Harold Riley, who has long visited Buxton, sitting on the judging panel will be a variety of prestigious faces from across the UK, including:
- Ken Howard RA OBE, the UK’s leading “en plein air” artist;
- Lady Cobham the Chairmain of Visit England and Art Fund Prize;
- Trevor Osborne FRICS, FRSA, a developer and investor in Crescent Hotel and Thermal Water Spa;
- Louise Potter, Derbyshire Deputy Lieutenant and local businesswoman;
- Anne Lise Fraser, programme co-ordinator for Art and Design at Buxton and Leek College
- Ros Westwood, director of Buxton Museum and Art Gallery.
Inspired by similar competitions in Bath and Bristol, the organisers; Suzanne Pearson, Neil M Scowcroft, Daniel Winter and Emma Potter plan to bring the streets of Derbyshire’s leading spa town alive with artists and their easels this Summer.
Over 20 outdoor locations will be drawn by ballot by artists working in the town from 23 May. Enter online or post by June 1st and submit work by August 31 2014.
The judging will take place on 11th September when the Buxton Festival’s Executive Director , Randall Shannon will also choose a piece of work for the 2015 Programme Brochure. The Exhibition showcasing and selling the artists’ work, will run from the 12th September to the 12th October 2014.
Full details of how to enter can be found at ‘The Buxton Spa Prize’