On Friday 29th June 2012 The Heights of Abraham will welcome the Olympic Torch Relay. The Torch Bearer, a rising star and future Olympian gymnast Dominick Cunningham (see Editor notes), will soar over the Derwent Valley in the Peak District’s iconic Cable Cars.
The journey will start at the Base Station and Car No 1 will be prepared and waiting. Once aboard the Torch will be seen out of the front of the Car as it climbs to the summit over the Railway, the River Derwent and the A6, and spectators on Dale Road in Matlock Bath will be able to see the event. As it approaches the Top Station the Car will be stopped briefly to give press photographers the chance to get a good shot of the Torch in the Cable Car.
The Torch and Torch Bearer will alight so that visitors and local schools can get a closer view. There will also be the ‘unveiling’ of 2 pieces of artwork to commemorate the occasion.
Firstly, an Olympic Mural Wall will be revealed to the public, which is a cooperative project between Tess Willoughby local artist/writer/crafts person and 6th Form students from Highfield School.
Secondly, a Cedar wood sculpture will be revealed representing a flaming Torch. This monumental piece designed and created by renowned local chainsaw sculptor Andrew Frost was commissioned by the Heights of Abraham as a long term symbol of the importance of the visit by the Olympic Torch.
“The cultural legacy is in many ways as important as the sporting achievements” commented Andrew Pugh, Managing Director of The Heights of Abraham. “ We hope that we have reflected this in these two artistic projects and that they will stand as a reminder of how honoured we are to have been chosen to welcome the Torch on our unusual form of travel, the Cable Cars.”
David James Chief Executive of Visit Peak District Tourist Board told us, “The Olympic Torch Relay has been an opportunity for the Peak District and Derbyshire to show the world what a beautiful area this is. The boost to both ‘staycation’ holidays and to overseas visitors in future years will bring economic benefits to the area and the UK.”
- All media persons wishing to attend this event must first seek accreditation by emailing a request to firstname.lastname@example.org
- All those wishing to take advantage of photo opportunities at the Summit must be in position by 1.30pm. This is due to the likely disruption to the normal Cable Car Service between 1.30pm and 3pm.
- Torch ETA 2.20pm and departs 2.50pm Full details and timings of the Olympic flame’s journey through the Derbyshire Dales are available online at www.derbyshiredales.gov.uk/torchrelay
- Dominick Cunningham a last minute replacement to Team GB for the European Youth Olympic Games got off to a fantastic start by taking the Team silver with teammates Frank Baines and Courtney Tulloch with a combined to score 164.950 just behind Russia with 165.400 and ahead of Switzerland – 163.700. At Youth Commonwealth Games later that summer Cunningham was the most successful gymnast in Games winning three gold one silver and a bronze.
|Mobile phone number||07964280638|
- The Heights of Abraham, a Hilltop Park, reached using the country’s most up to date cable cars. Pay one inclusive price and once you are at the summit you can join exciting underground tours of two spectacular Show Caverns. Above ground there are play areas, picnic spots, exhibitions, shops, Terrace Coffee Shop and Summit Bar all with views out across the surrounding Peak District. Added attractions are the “Heath & Heaven” and “Fossil Factory” exhibitions, plus with the help of state of the art lighting, see the Great Masson Cavern awash with colour and experience firsthand the spectacular cavern system as it has never been seen before.
For further information go to our website www.heightsofabraham.com click on Media Resources(see the bottom of the Welcome page); Log in with user name: media12, password: abraham
This will give you access to images and additional copy.
For any further information, photo opportunities, interviews or general enquiries please contact;
Marketing & Events Manager
Tel: 01629 582365 extn 228
Mobile: 07702 369729